0 to 2mm soft sand
Soft sand, also known as fill sand, build sand, cable sand or infill, is the finest size of aggregate available at the Brewster Bros recycling plant.
Where does it come from?
Our soft sand is expertly extracted from the construction and demolition waste that is fed through our recycling facility. We use a circular business model to recover and regenerate waste to minimize the impact on the environment. By regenerating waste from the construction, demolition and excavation industries we can extract the maximum value from the aggregates, keeping them in circulation for as long as possible. Virgin aggregates like sand are in limited supply which is no surprise because they’re core building resources. Using recycled aggregates reduces the demand for these finite resources which benefits the environment. The linear take, make, dispose model isn’t sustainable and has already had a serious effect on the environment.
How do we separate and produce our soft sand?
- Construction and demolition waste is fed into our state-of-the-art wash plant.
- Anything over 100mm is deemed oversized and is removed. Oversized material is taken to our crushing area on site and reduced to the relevant size to then be fed back into the plant.
- A large magnet filters out any particles of metal that haven’t already been screened out.
- The waste is washed and screened to separate it into different types and sizes of aggregates.
- All material below 4mm is diverted to the sand plant where the hydrocyclones use centrifugal force to separate the two washed sands.
- The sand is then separated further into different densities and cuts producing two sands, 0-2mm soft sand and 0-4mm sharp sand.
Applications and uses
for soft sand
Soft sand is commonly used as a protective fill layer for cable laying or bedding for pipes to protect them from punctures. It can also be blended with other recycled aggregates to create products like Type 1 or used as a high-quality build sand. We sell our soft sand by the tonne and it is available for uplift or delivery.